Guest blogging, Poland 23 aug 2016

Legalization of stay in Poland. Karta Pobytu


If you are staying in Poland for a long period of time you might want to consider applying for karta pobytu (unless you are from the EU). Once you have it, you are allowed to work in Poland and you don’t need a visa.
First of all, remember that there are two different types of “karta pobytu” – karta stalego pobytu and karta czasowego pobytu. You may apply for karta stalego pobytu if you have Polish origin (karta Polaka) or close relatives who possess a Polish citizenship. There are some other cases in which you may also get karta stalego pobytu. Full list is here –

Karta czasowego pobytu is given for a short period of time but it still has the benefits that I mentioned.

Once you decided to apply for the karta pobytu (doesn’t matter if it is karta stalego or czasowego pobytu) you need to contact the Urząd Wojewódzki and ask them for the appointment – On this site you will also find all the useful information including the list of documents you are required to have for the application.

Please beware that you will probably need a little more money on your account than the official requirements are – since exchange rates never stay the same and by the time your application is being considered the amount of money you have may no longer be enough to get the karta pobytu.

However, even if you do everything right you need to be prepared for both pleasant and unpleasant surprises. My friend and I gathered all documents together but I got the card and she didn’t. We filled in “wniosek” in a very similar way and our documents were pretty much the same.

Please remember that even if you received the rejection to get a card you may write an appeal and therefore have one more chance.

If you have any  questions regarding the application process, feel free to email me at I will be happy to help you out. Good luck!:)

For more of my posts click here!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.